Advances, Updates, Guidelines, and Best Practices in General Internal Medicine—Expressly for Specialists
Updates in General Internal Medicine for Specialists will be held online January 23-27, 2023. You have the option to attend either online as the course is live streamed or in person in Boston, MA. All sessions will be recorded and made available to all participants to view online, at your convenience, through December 31, 2023.
In this unique program, Harvard Medical School's leading clinical faculty, representing more than 30 fields of medicine and surgery, share updates and provide recommendations to ensure you are current with the recent advances in both general internal medicine and select specialties. General Internal Medicine for Specialists covers the clinical breadth of internal medicine and the working knowledge specialists need in order to understand the most important advances outside your field of expertise.
Whether you are a psychiatrist or pathologist, cardiologist or anesthesiologist, surgeon or hospitalist, you can rely on this program for updates and advances that impact day-to-day practice, clinical decisions, and patient care.
2023 Updates, Strategies, and Tools to Improve Patient Care
The program's curriculum provides broad and inclusive content ranging from clinical controversies to specific new and innovative therapies. General Internal Medicine for Specialists was developed by experienced practitioners, and sessions are presented by Harvard faculty and select guest speakers dedicated to peer-to-peer education. They will succinctly and effectively summarize material and provide focused updates, emphasizing specific recommendations for clinical practice and improved patient care.
Topics covered in the 2023 program include:
- Ischemic heart disease
- The ongoing impact of COVID-19
- Chronic obstructive lung disease
- Diabetes management
- Menopause management
- Non-diabetes endocrinology
- The neurologic method
- Cognitive decline
- Travel medicine
- Congestive heart failure
- Common eye problems
- Diseases of the foregut
- Preoperative evaluation
- Breast cancer
- Differential dx of polyarthritis
- Basic orthopedics
- Atrial fibrillation
- Lipid management
- Osteoporosis management
- Renal medicine
- Antiplatelet agents
- Sleep disorders
- Managing obesity
- Allergy medicine
- Thyroid disorders
- Cancer screening
- Non-opioid and opioid pain management
- Lower back pain
Whatever your specialty, you can rely on General Internal Medicine for Specialists for practical updates that ensure a working knowledge of current internal medicine practices and a familiarity with critical advances across a broad range of specialties. The faculty will address the ongoing impact of COVID-19 pandemic. This program is designed to meet the needs of the full range of specialists, provide focused updates, and cover a vast amount of information efficiently and effectively, including:
- Current guidelines and management strategies for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, lipid disorders, hypertension, chronic lung disease, sleep disturbances, cognitive decline, chronic pain
- Strategies for assessing and managing interacting comorbidities
- Potential adverse interactions between medications you prescribe and those prescribed by others
- Focused examination techniques: basic orthopedics and the neurologic examination
- Up-to-date interventional therapies in cardiology, rheumatology, gastroenterology, neurology, dermatology and more
- Inter-specialty clinical decision-making
- The most current evidence-based screening and prevention practices
- Breakthrough innovations with proven patient benefit
- How medical practices have changed as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic
Learn from the Best Clinical Faculty at Harvard Medical School
This program is led by active expert practitioners and committed teachers, each with significant experience both in the care of patients and in peer-to-peer presentations to colleagues. The Harvard faculty and select guest speakers will cover state-of-the-art advances and recommendations. You will take home relevant, up-to-date, and evidence-based strategies and tools to improve your patient care.
Optimized for In-Person and Remote Education
The 2023 program has been enhanced for both in-person and distance learning. In addition to being held live in Boston, all sessions will be live streamed, and all sessions will be recorded and made available to participants for online viewing through December 31, 2023.